Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Eight more days.

The show is in eight more days. Every day up until yesterday I would look at my photos and make drastic editing alterations, but now the photos have been turned in and I can't change them anymore. I am very nervous. To save on the cost of printing for the human rights group I work for, I had to narrow down my original 30 to 26 photos and then we have to print "Photo Hollywood experience the difference." in the bottom corner of every picture. In America I would feel like a sellout but since we are in Nepal, where things such as money are seen differently, and since it isn't my money, I am pretty OK with it. We have just finished the final touches on the 20 min. documentary we made, and despite some last minute adjustments that I wanted that I guess were outside of my control, I feel that this movie is going to be great. I am also very excited to have a reason to officially wear my new suit as well. Things with the kids have been going alright. I have been unable to get any new subjects and so I just hope that what I have and what I will get in the next three weeks will be enough for the book. I have started collecting all of their names and talking with them a little more about quitting their lifestyle, they understand and shrug. The street woman I spoke of last time is doing OK. She decided that the six month program I offered was too long of a promise for training she didn't know if she would enjoy, but through another friend of hers, she is now working on becoming a field agent, warning the street kids about the dangers of their way of living and offering them options. But now Sabitri, the mother in Jamal has asked me to get her daughter Mukti (one year old) off the street. It's possible but much more difficult. It will either mean that Mukti goes to a shelter, if there is money and room, and is cared for until she is 18 and will be able to see her mother on scheduled visits once a month, or simply adoption. Both are a very delicate situation because when taking a child away from their mother, it is possible that the mother will change her mind or the kid will go back to the streets after their schooling, and thus is why we are uncertain of the actions we can take. Any way, I have been reading your messages and emails and I must say that I am overjoyed every time I hear from you, and am so glad that my blog is fun for you as well. I will let you all know how the show goes and what will happen with Mukti. I love you guys and I will talk with you later, Seth.

5 comments:

inteldoc said...

You better take an "Uncle Joel" style self portrait with your camera of you in your suit.

Anonymous said...

So I guess your show is today? Well if so I hope you enjoy it. It will be nice to see you when you get back. Have a great time.

Anonymous said...

How did it go?

-Bailey

Anonymous said...

Well, how did your show go? I'm so excited for you! Gosh, you only have a few days left there. I would bet your are looking forward to seeing everybody again. We hope you have a safe journey home. Love ya,

Unknown said...

Seth - Really looking forward to hearing about the show presentation and SEEING it someday too. Re the one-year-old: I mentioned Holt International Children's Services based in Eugene, OR before (they helped us adopt Jenn and Mike). If that home for children is still operating in Kathmandu it might be a resource. Holt is extremely conscientious about doing the right thing for the child, including keeping in own family unit if possible. www.holtinternational.org
See you next month-Love, Nancy