Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I think I'm gonna make sick.

I am confident, I am terrified, I am anxious, I am withdrawn, I am determined, I am uncertain, I am ready, I think I'm gonna throw up and I wouldn't have it any other way. Months ago, I stumbled upon an internship in Nepal for photojournalists. I was skeptic at first but as time drew on my mind I decided to go for it. The day is finally here and for the past few nights my imagination and emotions have ran the full spectrum. One of my main concerns was that for the past four years I have studied for this profession but it has always been nothing but theory and dreams; what if I find out that what I loved did not love me in return or that what I told myself was love was a lie completely. When a life's dream becomes a nightmare, how does one wake up from that. My other concern was more focused on motives. Why do I leave safety, comfort, regularity, love of friends and family, why do I run out from under the shelter of my parents long wise arms? And I guess the answer is that it's just in me. None of my friends or family understands the love I have for them because I cannot measure it myself, and I know if I were to just stick around and not leap for new edges, I would not be myself and could not in good conscience lie to friends and family. So I leave to strengthen my body, my mind, and my care for everyone. I go to find my own rules because I don't have time to simply accept anyone else's. I hope this wasn't too long winded or self righteous for you, this has just been on my mind for a while. I'll get some picks up asap. Hope to hear from you all soon, Seth.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

WOO HOO ! I get to leave the first comment! Good luck young man. Waiting to see the updates and hope you have the experience of your life. This should be a piece of cake after riding a rice-burner around North America.
- Uncle Jim -

mac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey! This is a great idea Seth! Hi Jim. too! Funny!

I just dropped you off at the airport, cried the whole way home and now I am sitting at the kitchen table at 4:30 in the morning missing you terribly. But thank the bright ones for technological inventions...we aren't really that far away.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Seth. I learn more about you this way. I guess it's easier wrtitten than putting it into words when it comes to your Mom. I love you and wish you well. Be safe and be smart.

mac said...

Good luck bro! I think your exactly on the right track! You will never go wrong following your heart.

Tina said...

You were ALWAYS very adventure-some! I think I know where some of it comes from. Follow your dreams young man. I'll be thinking about you often.
Love Ya....Auntie Tina

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Seth! I'm jealous beyond belief for your trip, your soon-to-have experiences, and even that nauseated feeling in the pit of your stomach that means BIG CHANGE. Looking forward to reading about it all.

Cousin Jennifer

Unknown said...

Seth-man! Have been praying you across the ocean, through Bangkok and into Kathmandu...for safety and protection and now too for contentment, challenge and success. It was great seeing you this summer and hearing more about your plans for the next 5 months. Hope we didn't grill you too much. Looking forward to living vicariously through your blog!
Love, Aunt Nancy & Uncle Joel

Anonymous said...

Miss you friend, but so very pleased for you!

-Bailey

Anonymous said...

Seth You're the man... I hope you're having a great time! I wish I was there with you... Maybe taking less snap shots and takin more shots with the locals. I need to get the hell out of the US. Have some fun before I'm really old. Do it up man! Best of Luck!