Friday, September 19, 2008

No longer am I this starry eyed child filled with wonder and curiosity visiting this strange strange land.  Where once I strolled through a rainbow of both color and culture, I now cruise through on the back of my hosts 250 Honda watching the faces and creations blur into the brick of the streets.  Oh, but please forgive me my friends for I may seem to be sad or wining, but do be assured that this was not my intention.  I am actually quite pleased with the situation.  I have made myself at home.  I am comfortable with my surroundings, not distracted by the slightest of instances and thus truly able understand and appreciate this great place of which is becoming as familiar as my own clothes.  
Things are beginning here and I am very excited.  I have recently been doing some editing for "New Business Age" and really enjoy it.  I can't wait to try my hand at writing for the youth magazine.  I feel that I may have made the right choice in choosing journalism; the sheer anticipation of writing and photographing makes me smile.  My dream has turned out to be just that, a dream and not a nightmare as I may have once worried.  Although it still may be too soon to tell, it certainly does not feel like a mistake.  The web designer is here and thus soon, I will be in the full swing of things: writing, editing, photographing, and then will I understand better my passion for this career.  I have also gotten in contact with a human rights organization here and they have asked me to take photos of the street children here in their living conditions and with their drug problem for a photo book. Then with the book, the organization can get more funding due to the simple fact that a picture is much more fruitful than a pie chart.  So I have made a connection with a doctor here who feeds the children on a regular basis through a program of his and by volunteering with him I will be able to make myself known to the children and will be more welcome to speak with them in the streets.  And then after about a month and a half of getting to know them and letting them get comfortable with me as well as me with the language (which I might add I am trying like hell to learn), then, and only then will I be able to take their photos; and hopefully have enough time after getting to know them to build a substantial body of work. I can't express how privileged I am to get a chance to have my images make such a difference in this world. Such and opportunity rarely comes across to an artist or journalist. I think I am going to write more often so it isn't as long for you guys.  I know I have said this before but I absolutely love hearing from you, it truly lifts my soul, but please leave your name because this thing doesn't tell me who leaves the messages.  I love you and will write sooner than later, Seth. Oh, and if it seems like my writing voice has changed, I should let you know that I have been reading "The Brothers Karamosoft" by Dostoyevsky. Sorry.

2 comments:

Petite J said...

Did you take the pictures at the top of your blog? What are some phrases that you've learned so far? I found my voice changed when I read Balzac. Good for you for all the work you're doing over there. Me, I'm sitting on the couch watching football.

Cousin Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are enjoying you time and getting some work experence. When you get back or wherever you go you can get a job you like. I hope that you are meeting lots of cool and neat new people along the way. Enjoy your trip because it will be over before you even know it.

Weston Bennett