Monday, September 8, 2008

I'm in Kathmandu

Alive and well with so much to tell.  I'm not sure if any of you are aware of a little thing called the international dateline; but I'll tell you, as you were putting away the day of Sept. 3 and ready to meet Sept. 4, I had already been flying for two days thanks to our little imaginary friend.  Three hours of sleep in 48 hours and only steel chairs at the Bangkok airport for slumber...fun.  However there was more than just that.  On the way there I met this man who was  a scuba instructor on one of the islands off the coast of Thailand and he invited me to come with him to a little town called Pataan, about an hours drive from the city of Bangkok.  And simply put friends, your humble narrator is quite the catch in Thailand.  Walking the streets of this simple city, I was getting cat calls, whistles and shouts from all around.  Women of the corners and bars were yelling that I better get myself over there if I knew fun, and to say that I was blushing would be quite the understatement.  I ask my friend why everyone is so nice here and he says that they were all working girls; and all I could think of was that I hope they don't work at a beauty salon, less is more obviously meant nothing to these ladies except for when it came to their clothing for some reason.  But as I left Thailand and said goodbye to my new friend I couldn't help but feel that those ladies were going to make some gentleman very happy some day.  
But I digress.  Any way, I land in Nepal and the airfield is over grown with some sort of weed 4 feet tall if it was an inch, surrounding the airport and enveloping this old rusty jet sitting in the middle of the field; it looked like one of those Wasilla lawn ornaments.  I meet my host outside the airport and we take a cab to his home, and let me tell you friends, I feel like I was in the middle of a Dr. Suess book.  Whoosits and Whatsits zigzagging around putzits, smells of poogle and doogle far worse than a shugal, and the trash my god the trash!  Mountains of colors and textures and such, oh why did I choose five months it seems like sooo much.  But after the initial shock all was well.  My host family is beautiful, inside and out.  There is Nardev the husband, Mina the wife, (I call her Didi, big sister) her sister Sila and two awesome little kids Nasib/Bi, (little brother) and Muscan/Bahini (little sister).  And there are two other people volunteering here that are staying at the house as well and they are both great.  I have started my job here at the publication; it's called "Infotiser" and it is the number two youth magazine in Nepal.  Due to the price of paper over here though they have been forced to temporarily stop publication, so I am on this awesome team that is going to put it all online.  I will get to take some photos and do some writing and even some editing; it's not what I came here for but I think I'm going to like it.  Any way there is more to tell but I have kept you long enough.  To those who messaged me, thank you very much, you don't know how much it was appreciated no matter how short or how long.  I love it here and I will talk with you all later, Seth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're safe! It sounds so wonderful!

-Bailey

Anonymous said...

I have alredy said this before, but I will say it again...

"FORGET Mike, I wanna be like Seth!"

:)

I will keep you in my prayers, in return: Keep up the Blogging! It's great to hear how you are doing!

-Becks

inteldoc said...

Yes, I'm sure those ladies will make some gentleman very happy, and not just someday, but any time. :)

It's so good to hear things have turned out well for you. I love seeing the pictures! I think working to the magazine online sounds like a lot of fun and you will learn skills that will be very valuable when you return to the US and look for a job. But then again, you may be like your Uncle Denny, and never come back!

mac said...

Great job Seth. I'm looking forward to seeing all the photos...