Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm tiered and I need help

I need help friends. I feel I need it more now than I have ever before. Recently, I was laid off from my internship with the online magazine project. The web designer fell through and so until a later date, the magazine has nothing for me to do; so they let me go and said they will call me if and when it gets started again. However I still have the project with the human rights organization, documenting the street children and their lifestyle. My problem is this: through my recent efforts, I have come to realize that documenting the street children is going to take all of my time and effort, leaving nothing for another job. I could get work for another publication here easily but I would have to drop the street children, which is where my dilemma lies. I feel that I have been given a rare opportunity to help a large number of people through my passion of photography and to not give it a try seems cowardly and the easy way out; two qualities of which hopefully none of you see in me, and I cannot appreciate. But, and it is a big but; I came here to get work experience that I could take home with me and use to get a job that I truly enjoy and not just tolerate. According to the people I have talked to and what I have heard, many have attempted similar tasks to what I am about to venture into but their success is little or unknown. So if I fail, what am I to say to prospective employers when they ask me "What kind of experience do you have?" Do I tell them that I spent five months in Kathmandu trying to document the lifestyles of street children, but was unsuccessful.? No one cares about the person who attempted the difficult and failed. History is not written about men and women who tried their best. Results are all that matter today. No one's future is paved by good intentions, only what you have achieved makes a difference. Thus if I choose to go to a different publication and leave the street children, I will have my work history and I will have that concrete symbol of effort and knowledge; but I'm not certain if it is in me to just quit; that is not the Seth you know. I have been told that I am a very caring and stubborn person and that is why you like me, but if I left the street children project, would I be the same? I have been torturing myself over this situation and I need your help. This is not a bate and hook for an ego stroke or a search for a boost in self esteem. I feel that I have already made up my mind, but I need an outsiders opinion because I think I might be too blinded by my stubbornness to make a proper decision. I need the love and support of my friends and family. I need you, my foundation, those who have helped to mold and shape the person I am today. Do I go for the sure thing to help my life and career, or do I risk five months of my life for something that may or may not end well? Help your brother out. On the brighter side of things: I am happy to announce that plaid is very fashionable here, as well as my couch shirt, (inside joke) and so are my yellow, purple and pink bracelets; everyone comments on them. I don't have internet access for my laptop, but when I do, I promise to put up a picture that is twice as good to make up for the loss of this one. I love you and will speak with you later, Seth.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Follow your heart!
I think that if you follow your heart that everything else will fall into place...

If you stay, (you have better have enough money to keep you fed!) you will have an awesome portfolio... If you leave future employers will understand that the job you went for ended... : )
You only live once, whatever you do NEVER Regret!

Good Luck, and You Dont Need Help... Youre Seth! : )
Haha.

-Becks

Anonymous said...

Go to the streets and if your job opens back up then you can take it.

Unknown said...

Seth,

You know what you have to do. Regardless, you friends and family will support you any way we can.

inteldoc said...

Seth, I don't know where you see the dilemma. Maybe the intership w/the news agency fell through, but you have an intership (so to speak) with documenting the street kids. I guess it depends on how you look at it. The documentary work is just as valid...you're still doing photo journalism and, I don't know, getting to write too? It's just the same sheep in different wool. Or is there something I am missing? I wouldn't worry about what skills you are NOT gaining, and what skills are you NOT learning by doing this and not the other?

mac said...

Just keep going! Do what you can, for who you can, when you can, and don't forget to enjoy yourself along the way.

Your young, and you have years to build your resume, gain experience and make a name for yourself. Along the way opportunities will show themselves, some that will help you, some that will help those around you, and some that will help both. Don't get to revved up trying to do it all at once. Enjoy where you are today.

As for those "big" decisions you come across, I ask myself, what will happen if I do it, and what will happen if I don't. I learned that from Brother Dan...

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Well here is the frank truth of it. People will tell you two things; life is short, and live every moment as it was your last. The other is that life is long and chances of getting hit by a bus are really small so take your time, you have it. I can tell you that I don’t want to be laying in the road after getting hit by a bus, or laying in a hospital bed at 90 thinking I wish I could have done that one thing. Some people can fill their desires with pictures of foreign lands and new environments and others need to see, touch, and feel these places. I pictures is worth a thousand words, but to touch, smell, see, hear and taste that place that will last a lifetime. There is nothing like breathing a new place. While you are on this adventure do what feels right. Don’t wait to do the right thing, do it now. You might not be able to later. I say follow your heart. It is a lot easier to work hard at something that you believe in then to just complete a task or a job. If the street kids need help then attempt to help them. At this point no one is trying to help them. If you fail then they are no worse then when you started. If you succeed they benefit and it was all worth it. Taking on a daunting task could be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. It is always better to jump then to sit on the ledge. In this life everyone would rather look at the view, when you can take the leap. You have already come so far.

Anonymous said...

Stick to the Streets my friend!!

Regena said...

Oh Seth - I wrote such a long response but then I did not have account so I set one up and then it erased everything!!!!
Darn it. It was good too. Here is the shortened version - You will NEVER regret your experience and helping the children. A man with integrity is rare. Besides, like most of us you will probably work for many many many years and the experience for your resume will come. This may be the only time in your life where you don't have other commitments (kids/wife)that demand your time and you can give all of yourself to such a cause.
On another note - need anything? toilet paper? hahahaha LOVE YOU!