Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Pressure is on

Well, the pressure is on. We had a meeting today to map out the next few months plans for this photo project I'm doing. We have to start scouting for a venue to hold the exhibition that also has dining capacity as well as the space to show a film documentary we will be making on the street children. There is so much to do that I am just glad that I only have to come up with the pictures. Although today, the man heading the project took me aside and said, "I hope you understand the gravity of the situation. Everything rests on you and the quality of pictures you produce." The whole office is working to prepare this exhibition solely on the faith of my ability. Basically if I don't come through, not only do the kids not get the help they need, but the organization's reputation will also be blemished and thus limiting their ability to help the children in the future. I said to Saum, (my boss) "I understand that you feel you are gambling on a strangers competence." and he said, "If you wish to put it like that." and I followed with, "Well, I am not a gamble." I have never been so sure of myself in my life. I have never had so much responsibility before, but because failure is not an option, it will be done; no matter what I have to do. I am terrified and yet more excited and confident than I have ever felt before. I don't know if it is the fact that I have been reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Ryand or if I have finally become an adult, but I know I am ready for this challenge and am going to see to it that my word is kept. Today was good progress: some of the more difficult street kids and I played my harmonica for about an hour, and then I played marbles with some other friends of mine and then lastly watched a game of Nepali poker for about 30 min. On a side note, some things of interest about Nepal that I may have forgotten to mention, although I'm not certain how, are: Brittney Spears, Bob Marley, Kurt Cobain, Iron Maiden and Sid Vicious from the "Sex Pistols" cover every T-shirt on every 12-17 year old in Nepal. Also, hand washing your laundry is very difficult. I have done my laundry three times now and despite my soar and bloody knuckles, I still don't think I'm doing it right. I can't get out all of the stains and my clothes feel very stiff when they dry. As I write this letter, my T-shirt lies propped up against the corner at attention ready for tomorrow. I love you all and should be photographing soon. Seth.

No comments: